Posts for: September, 2017
The doctors at Affiliated Podiatrists have experience when dealing with bunions and the pain affiliated with them, which is why they provide their patients with state-of-the-art care at their Chicago, IL, office.
They are the deformity of the metatarsophalangeal joint of the big toe. This deformity occurs due to the big toe moving out of place and the pain accompanied with it increases as the enlarged joint constant rubs against your footwear. As time goes by, the toe starts bending towards the rest of the toes, sometimes causing hallux valgus (overlapping of the other toes). When this occurs, the pressure and friction placed on and against the toe cause discomfort, irritation, and inflammation. Unfortunately, if bunions are not treated they can cause other problems, such as:
- Hallus Abducto Valgus (the big toe moves towards the second toe)
- The skin over the big toe becomes thicker and more tender
- Corns and Calluses
- Wearing tight shoes
- Chronic pain
Causes of Bunions
Here are a few reasons as to why bunions occur:
- Flat feet
- Foot injuries
- Neuromuscular problems
- Faulty foot structure
Your Chicago podiatrists can help relieve your bunion pain using several techniques and methods:
- They may suggest wearing some sort of protective padding made of felt to help reduce the friction caused by your shoes and help alleviate inflammation and skin problems.
- Your podiatrists may opt to remove any corns and calluses that may have developed.
- A good idea would be to wear shoes designed to accommodate the bunion.
- Orthotic devices, which can be over-the-counter or custom made, help support the joint and position the foot so walking and standing are done with more ease.
- There are certain exercises which may help prevent stiffness or arthritis.
- Splints are worn at night, predominantly by adolescence, to help the proper alignment of the toe and joint.
- If the previous non-invasive methods don't work, your podiatrist may advise surgical treatment, called bunionectomy.
For more information on dealing with your bunion and bunion pain, call your Chicago, IL, podiatrists at (773) 202-8800 today!
Fall means more than “Back to School” for kids. It’s also a time when sports teams get back into action. Many young people are in several sports each season. If your children are involved in sports activities – especially those that are hard on their feet such as soccer, basketball, track and football – we here at Affiliated Podiatrists suggest that you be on the lookout for “Overuse Injuries.”
Damage can occur to bones, tendons and ligaments in kids’ feet and ankles that aren’t fully developed. Pain is never normal in a child’s foot or ankle! Any pain that lasts a few days should be evaluated in our office. Call 773-202-8800.
It’s not just the Students who return to school each fall about whom we’re concerned. Yes, their shoes should fit. And feet need to be checked as well as gait be examined. But, it’s also about the Teachers, Administrators, Social Workers, Engineers, Cooks & Support Staff who need good shoes and healthy feet to do their jobs. When your feet hurt, you hurt all over!
Please know that Podiatrists are THE EXPERTS in FOOT & ANKLE CARE. And we welcome New Patients in our practice. Feel free to have your loved ones call: 773-202-8800.