The Importance of Diabetic Foot Care
Diabetes is a disease that occurs when the blood sugar level is too high. Drs. Jacob Richey, Jason Kalk, and Marc Feder of Affiliated Podiatrists Ltd. provide diabetic patients with foot care at their Chicago IL, offices, which serve the following neighborhoods: Edgebrook and Budlong Woods.
Why Diabetic Foot Care is Important
Diabetes can be dangerous to your feet because it affects nerves, which reduces feeling in the feet. Diabetes also reduces blood flow to the feet, which means it's going to take longer for your feet to heal from a simple cut. Both these points make diabetic foot care all the more important at your podiatrist office.
How to Care for Diabetic Feet
- Inspect your feet daily to check for cuts, blisters, redness, swelling, or nail problems.
- Wash your feet in lukewarm water daily using a soft washcloth or sponge and dry properly and carefully between toes.
- Moisturize your feet to prevent cracked feet but not between toes to avoid fungal infection.
- Cut nails straight across and file edges.
- Visit your podiatrist if you have corns or calluses instead of treating yourself at home.
- Wear clean, dry socks and change them daily.
- Wear socks to bed if your feet get cold at night and avoid heating pad or hot water bottle.
- Clean the inside of shoes before wearing them to avoid foreign objects like pebbles hurting your feet.
- Keep your feet warm and dry, especially when it's raining or snowing.
- Don't walk barefoot, even at home to avoid getting a scratch or cut.
- Keep your blood sugar levels under control, don’t smoke, and get periodic foot exams.
Do you need to speak with a podiatrist?
Diabetes makes it hard to notice foot issues and healing takes a long time. Things as simple as blisters or sores may lead to amputation if not taken care of properly and immediately. If you would like more information or would like to make an appointment, just call (773) 202-8800 or (773) 558-4799 today! Drs. Jacob Richey, Jason Kalk, and Marc Feder of Affiliated Podiatrists Ltd. can help. They're located in Chicago, IL, serving two Chicago neighborhoods: Edgebrook and Budlong Woods.