Posts for tag: Running Conditions
The Chicago Marathon will be held October 10th, 2010. The participants' ages range from 16 to over 80 and all enjoy the challenges of running. There is an expected 45,000 runners participating in the Chicago Marathon this year. With so many runners of various ages, it is common to see foot and ankle injuries occur.
The doctors at Affiliated Podiatrists frequently see marathon runner injuries before, during and after the event. Foot injuries associated with marathon running may include:
- Plantar Fasciitis - heel and arch pain caused by stress and inflammation on the bottom of the foot.
- Sesamoiditis - ball of foot and inflammation under the big toe joint from repetitive forces on the foot by running.
- Shin splints - leg pain at the shin usually from stress on the leg muscle and bone.
- Achilles Tendonitis - pain and swelling behind the ankle at the Achilles tendon and calf muscle.
- Stress Fractures - slight bone fractures of the foot from excessive force relative to overtraining.
For more information on these conditions, visit Affiliated Podiatrists' website at www.APLfeet.com